Guidelines to Ensure the Success of Your Dental Surgery
If you are scheduled to receive a tooth extraction for a wisdom tooth or other exodontistry, a root canal, or any other type of dental operation at Nidhi A Pai DMD, please take the time to review these guidelines which we have prepared in order to make your operation as smooth and successful as possible.
Follow these guidelines:
- Eat and drink nothing for eight hours prior to surgery, as having food or drink in your stomach may result in nausea or vomiting when you receive anesthesia. If you have to take pills for necessary medication, use only enough water to swallow them and no more than that.
- Make sure to inform us if you do have to take any type of medication in the days leading up to the operation.
- Get to bed early the night before the operation in order to ensure that you are well rested.
- Don't smoke for at least 48 hours before the surgery, since smoking cigarettes has the result of impairing blood circulation.
- Wear a shirt with short sleeves so that we can monitor your blood pressure with an arm cuff and administer an IV for anesthesia.
- Don't wear makeup, jewelry or contact lenses, and leave any valuables at home so that you don't misplace them.
- Bring a responsible adult with you on the day of the surgery, someone who can drive you afterwards and help you get settled in at home.
- Clear out your schedule so that you can rest for the remainder of the day and are not required to drive or operate machinery for at least 24 hours following the operation.
- Depending on the specific type of operation you are receiving, our Palo Alto dentists may have additional instructions for you to follow.